Note: Our fancy-dancy blahg-post-emailer-thingie didn’t work quite right yesterday, so to all you who are receiving this post in your inbox: Please go to the blahg to check out yesterday’s post in full. You received only a partial post instead of the whole shebang. If you are not yet receiving posts this way:
Now, onto our topic for today: Given the coronavirus situation, what happens if you’ve been accepted to bschool, and you decide not to go?
What if colleges and universities in the U.S. do in fact re-open for on-campus learning by Fall 2020: Should you still go? What are the factors to be considering in this uncertain environment? And when do you even have to decide?
As we’ve been discussing in this series on the impact of coronavirus and how the schools are adapting (which we started here with a topic on standardized testing and Round 3), many schools have reacted with significant changes to admissions policies for the Class of 2022, including extensions of deadlines, flexibility with allowing test scores to be sent in well after the application has been submitted, and even in some cases such as with certain EMBA programs, waiving of application fees. (Note: It’s unlikely that the most competitive full-time programs will waive application fees for extended Round 3 deadlines, because then they’d risk having a gazillion Round 1 and Round 2 applicants ask for refunds for previously-paid app fees, which would be a real hit to the finances at a time when the schools are increasingly worried about money in general.)
It remains to be seen what types of flexibility the schools will offer to admitted students who have already paid a deposit…
Premium content starts here…
Premium content ends. Not yet a blahg member? Buy access to all the snark here!
Almost all of the now-accepted BSers we’ve been in touch with are still planning on going, though we also heard about the survey saying that lots of admits are interested in deferring or canceling their MBA enrollments. There are big (big) implications to be considered before making any such decision, and we’ve even been putting some thoughts together on whether the schools will be re-opening on-campus courses or not, and what a Fall term might look like at these programs. So, keep coming back over the next week or so if you’re interested in hearing our take on how things may be playing out for us all as we move through this entire crisis as a country, and within higher ed.
Coronavirus and the MBA
- Coronavirus: Round 2 decisions
- Coronavirus and scholarship opportunities
- Coronavirus: Admitted to the Class of 2022 and decisions to attend
- Coronavirus: Standardized testing and Round 3 apps
- Coronavirus: What if you’re graduating this Spring?