Regardless of what stage of applying you’re in, there are plenty of mistakes you can make. This post has a little bit for everyone! 😉
- apply in round 3 — this is a weird admissions season and it’s impossible to say how things will be looking at all of these schools by the time their final round appears on the calendar, but we are highly pessimistic that there will be gobs of seats available at any of these programs at that point. We never recommend a Round 3 app because it makes your reapplication efforts all the harder, since it’s highly unlikely it’ll work out. However, there are always exceptions! Our Late Season Targets Review can be useful for input on what you have planned.
- low GMAT and assume it’s fine — this is the place from which reapplicants are born; ’nuff said. Hopefully you’ve been through the posts on the blahg about low GMAT.
- low GPA and not taking action — actually, reapplicants are born here too — and no, a high GMAT is not really enough to fully offset poor college academics, but it depends on what the actual stats of the profile are. Lots of posts on academics and low GPA here, too.
- poor choice of recommenders — this is just a misstep in strategy. We often see some missed opportunities, even fairly major ones, by applicants not understanding the importance of the recommendations (and/or not effectively preparing their recommenders). Check out some of the posts here on the blahg about recommenders.
- asking the admissions office questions you could find out on your own — no you definitely won’t get rejected for this, but some schools do track contact with candidates, and you don’t want to end up being flagged as “That Guy” (or Gal)
- believing everything you read on applicant forums — dang there’s a lot of bad information out there! Be careful who you listen to, Brave Supplicant!
If you have a specific situation you want input on, you can use our quick-hit Private Consult service to ask a one-off question, or anyone is always invited to post questions for the ‘Snark publicly here on the blahg — we respond to all comments even those left on posts deep in the ancient ‘snarchives. We’re happy to help if we can!
Again, none of these are necessarily showstoppers, but they’re all unforced errors that can end up being roadblocks, especially if there’s more than one of them occurring at once. Stack them and you run into problems. At this late date, you may have much of your app strategy set in stone, but it’s possible that you can still make adjustments that pay off tremendously — so please enlist our help if you think we can add value!! The Sanity Check is a great way to know how your app chances are looking based on what you have pulled together so far, and if you sign up for that now, you could even get feedback well in time to make significant changes if needed, before that Round 2 deadline shows up.
Good luck to all you scrambling to make Round 2 a reality! We’ll be around if we can provide value to your efforts to submit some great applications.