A rare Saturday post from EssaySnark. To remind you of certain truths:
- It’s mid-August.
- Round 1 is ALWAYS preferable.
- HBS Round 1 is exactly a month from yesterday.
- The HBS essay is super hard.
- Duke, MIT, and Yale all have deadlines coming up fast too.
Actually, all the schools have deadlines coming up fast… As BSer DJOnion said in the comments recently, “The countdown to Rd1 deadlines in the left-hand bar is scary!”
But you knew that. Let’s look at it a little differently:
- It’s mid-August – but you actually have time to do this! We’ve supported
crazy peopleBrave Supplicants in previous years who came to us even later than this and managed to get it all done. But you need to get busy. This would be a PRIME Essay Writing Weekend.
- If you’re reading this now, then you’re ahead of the game. Round 1 is an advantage. Full stop. No arguments. There’s no case where this is not true. But you’re on top of it! You’re here now, and that means you’re ready to roll. Round 1 is an advantage for everyone, and Round 1 can be an EVEN GREATER advantage for some: If you’re coming from an oversubscribed candidate pool, then not applying in Round 1 would be a serious mistake. We had a Success Story post just yesterday saying as much. If you are reading this post at the time it was published – mid August – and you don’t submit in Round 1, you will be kicking yourself later.
- HBS Round 1 is less than a month away – BUT YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TIME TO DO THIS! We’ve had people go from NOTHING to finished, using the Complete Essay Package, in just three weeks. If you’re literally starting out with nothing, then that is a great way to get step-by-step guidance on what to focus on and how to craft your message. You only need to go through that process once, for your first school, and you’ll be set up for success on all your other applications. It gets you to “done” on your first set of essays and the material you develop will serve as the building blocks for all the others. It’s an efficient, and seriously low-risk, way to go when you are feeling overwhelmed and you don’t know where to start. There is definitely still time to begin the Complete Essay Package for a Round 1 school.
- About that HBS essay? Yeah. You shouldn’t do that as your first admissions project. But there’s a way to maximize this set of problems. We just told you that you can do the Complete Essay Package for a Round 1 app. Here’s what we recommend if you’re trying for Harvard: Do the Complete Essay Package for another school – maybe Kellogg, Tuck, or Yale. Pick a school with more manageable essays. Cut your essay-writing teeth on that. Jam through the process and get your first drafts done. If you hustle, you can get there before the end of August. That’s a prime time to turn your attention to HBS. At that point, you will have had a whole bunch of feedback from EssaySnark on various points of your profile. You will have a good understanding of how the adcoms will be perceiving your strengths and weaknesses. You’ll have a handle on what’s important, based on the interactions with us and the exercises that help you to dig into your raw material. You can start brainstorming on HBS, and get that first draft done by the first weekend in September. There’s a discount available for Complete Essay Package peeps to add on a Harvard essay critique (current subscribers: check the Discounts page off the My SnarkCenter menu). You could submit that HBS draft and go through the two-stage HBS Essay Decimator cycle with EssaySnark and be in good shape to submit on the 16th. Then you could go back to your first set of essays and finish those up in plenty of time to make that school’s deadline – and then turn your attention to school #3. See? It can totally work!
- The earliest deadlines are right around the corner. Are you watching that countdown? In fact, ALL THE SCHOOLS have deadlines coming up. Funny thing, time. It has this weird habit of continually moving forward.
Here’s the deal:
If you don’t start working on your Round 1 applications full force this weekend – with EssaySnark or otherwise – you are at SIGNIFICANT RISK.
You cannot expect to whip out your drafts in a matter of days. Good essays take time to develop. Some of the most difficult essays are part of apps with the earliest deadlines (HBS and MIT, we’re looking at you). You cannot put this off any longer.
EssaySnark is available! We’re around this weekend, and every weekend, up through these first-round deadlines. There’s lots of ways you can get started with us:
- Complete Essay Package – anyone signing up this weekend can get the first step, the Comprehensive Profile Review, returned immediately
- Essay Decimators – if you already have essays ready, get feedback! This is our most popular service. If you have your Harvard essay ready, then you’ll go with the Harvard Essay Decimator for that (we really don’t recommend doing Harvard as your first app though).
If you’re not sure if you should apply in Round 1 then you could begin with the Comprehensive Profile Review to get feedback on all aspects of your profile and your strategy.
And we want to make it easier: Significant discounts are available on your subsequent purchases – once you sign up for your first EssaySnark consulting service, you’ll get access to special offers while your subscription is active. Check the Discounts page off of My SnarkCenter to see what’s available to you. Discounts will be drying up as we move closer to the deadlines! We’re headed into the busy season and prices will be at their maximum in the coming weeks.